Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Boss in Belgium

So it appears we former New Jerseyans (Point Pleasant and Chatham, respectively) may be flying all the way to Antwerp to see Bruce Springsteen in concert!

What in the world is a Belgian Springsteen fan like? I am certainly not surprised at the interest, since American "roots" music of many kinds is popular there...gospel choirs regularly sing for sellout crowds...but somehow I just have this image of a bunch of transplanted New Jerseyans yelling in raspy voices for an encore of Born to Run. I'll let you know how rowdy the Flemish fans are. At least we know they won't be really really drunk, since that's considered completely bad form in Antwerp. I hope that holds true for concert venues as well.

Knowledge of Springsteen's oeuvre, of course, highlights the age difference between me and my husband. He was in his 20's when Brooooooce was hanging out at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park. The first song of his I ever loved was "Hungry Heart" when I was a kid in Minneapolis. I still turn it up when it comes on the radio. I was in my teens when Born in the USA came out, and I still know every word of that album. My friends and I practically marinated in it the summer after it came out. That and U2's The Joshua Tree.

Years later, John and I enjoyed albums like Tunnel of Love and I once got him a boxed set of early stuff for his birthday. These days, our whole house agrees on We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions and the girls love "Buffalo Gals" and "Old Dan Tucker". So here's to ya, Bruce--we'll see you soon at the Sportpaleis, old man!

LG

No comments:

You can search FTJ for past posts, e.g. China info...

Google